Friday, October 10, 2008

Proposition 8 in California

My cousin Katy is living in California right now as her husband completes law school. Here are just some pieces of an email I received:

"I attended a broadcast last night with Elder Ballard, Elder Cook, Elder
Clayton and Elder Bednar discussing this issue. They shared with
Californians some things that could potentially happen if this does not
pass. These things have put a great deal of fear in me as a mother and
a citizen. I will not go into all of them now but will mention 2.

School curriculum. If 'marriage' is defined as between 'whomever' and
'whomever' instead of between a man and a woman, our children in grades
K-12 will have sex-education that has to give equal treatment to all and
any unions. Because homosexuality by definition relates specifically to
the act of sex, information about sex /of all forms/, will be given out
at a much earlier age and in away contrary to our desires as parents.

Religious Freedom. This is HUGE to those of us who hold sacred our
ability to share the gospel of Jesus Christ in our chapels, homes and
elsewhere without the government telling us in what way we can do so.

In last night's meeting, our Leaders urged us to use our blogs, myspace
pages, etc. etc... to support, discuss and persuade in this cause. We
are avoiding using our family blog to do so, but I have started a
separate blog in my own attempt to obey our leaders."

Katy and her husband have a separate blog on this issue and if you have time to stop and read there are other issues they address if Prop 8 doesn't pass. VERY Educational!

http://protectchildrenandfreedoms.blogspot.com/

Thank you Katy for the important insights on what's happening in California!

5 comments:

Mike and Shelby said...

Thank you for sharing. I've been debating for a while on whether I should post anything about this. I know the issue right now is in California but it is only a matter of time before other states (Heaven forbid, even our own) start to follow.

Anonymous said...

and THANK YOU! for spreading the word. This is SO important.

AngiDe said...

Whoa! Very scary! Thanks for sharing that and I will be checking out that blog site!

Coleen Ure said...

It was so fun to see you guys the other night! I liked this post a lot, I put the link on my blog to her blog. I wish I could vote on it too!!

Angelica's Family Adventures said...

So Important! Once I get out of the woods with this pregnancy we all need to get together. If you have time, I tagged you on my blog. I think it's a fun one.